Notes and Links from Previous Meetings
Web Notes from the January 19st 2008 General Meeting
- Whole Foods Gluten-Free Bakehouse items have been sighted at local Whole Foods/Wild Oats Markets (check the freezer section). Their 365 Everyday Value brand gluten-free mixes are also reported to be a good bargain.
- El Charo Cafe (located in at 6 Tucson locations) now has a "gluten sensitive" menu
- Eclectic Pizza (by Eclectic Cafe) offers gluten free pizza. Note that they state that they don't have a dedicated preparation area and are still in the process of investigating all their ingredients. So go prepared to ask lots of questions and work with your server and the chef.
Please note the the restaurants have not been visited by the Lunch Bunch or approved by the support group.
Links from the March 24th 2007 General Meeting
- Sande Smith is considering presenting the gluten free cooking classes in Tucson (rather than at her home in Tubac). If you would be interested in these classes in Tucson, contact her at 520-400-0412 or Sandara_S@hotmail.com
- Our featured speaker, Bill Eyl, was from CSA/USA,
Discussed in his talk:
- Membership information (including online and printable forms)
- Information on the proposed FDA standard for gluten free labeling and instructions on sending comments to the FDA (deadline is April 23, 2007)
- Celiac Disease Awareness Campaign from the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NIH)
- Gluten free oats: Gluten Free Oats (Wyoming), Chateau Cream Hill Estates (Canada), Gifts of Nature (Montana)
- Online registration for the CSA Annual Conference (to be held in Tucson) is scheduled to open April 1st
Links from the November 18th 2006 General Meeting
- New products presented at the meeting:
Toast-It toaster bags http://nostik.apache01.hostbasket.com/new/eng/index.php?pt=2&pg=products&pd=5 You can search Google to find them for sale online
Fast & Fresh and Quick-Bake microwaveable pre-measured mixes: www.foodtek.com
- Camp Kanata, offers a gluten free summer camp, July 8-14, 2007 in Wake Forest, NC
- EatRight.org by the American Dietetic Association
Links from the September 24th 2006 General Meeting
- Our speaker, Chef Fernando Espinosa, was from the Dos Silos Restaurant located at Tubac Golf Resort. Dos Silos doesn't have a web site yet, but they plan to soon, hopefully with a gluten-free menu. Use this link for directions and contact information.
- Chef Espinosa recommends the Dietary Alert Card, www.dietarycard.com/products/glutenfreecards.html
- AJ's Fine Foods, 2805 E Skyline Dr. in La Encantada (520 232-6340) and Plaza Liquors, 2642 N. Campbell Ave. (520 327-0452) have Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold gluten-free beer. It sounded as though there was probably going to quit a run on it, so you might want to call to check that they haven't run out.
- Our September Newsletter has information on how we can aid Oscar Ceron, our "adopted" celiac teenager in Nogales.
- Coconut flour offers an alternative to our more conventional wheat flour substitutes. The book Cooking with Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife is available from Amazon.com.
- October is CSA's Celiac Disease Awareness Month.
- Paco's Mexican Food is located at 5563 E. Grant Rd. As always when eating out, be sure that your needs are understood.
Notes from the May 20th 2006 Meeting
- Pharmaceuticals Guide from the Alamo Celiac web site
- Walgreen's Pharmacies can provide a list of gluten-free drugs on request
- If you are in the Show Low or Pinetop-Lakeside area Nature's Realm offers gluten-free foods at a 10% discount to those with celiac disease (11 E. Deuce of Clubs, (928) 532-0359)
Links from the January 28th 2006 General Meeting
These are links to some of the Web sites mentioned during our meeting. If you took better notes than the Webmaster and have corrections or additions, please contact me.
- Chateau Cream Hill Estates (pure oats) - Web site is currently under construction (http://www.creamhillestates.com/). Contact: email@example.com
- Chili's doesn't have a gluten free listing on their web site, however they will send on request a monthly listing of gluten free items on their menu. You can contact them on their web site, http://www.chilis.com/contact/. You can frequently find the list posted on celiac disease forums or groups.
- Firebird's Rocky Mountain Grill at 2985 E Skyline Dr, Tucson, AZ 85718 (in La Encantada) can be reached at (520) 577-0747
- Gluten Free Drugs - http://glutenfreedrugs.com, a comprehensive list of GF drugs
- Gluten Free Oats - http://glutenfreeoats.com/
- The new member packet is now available.
- Safeway - I wasn't able to find a listing of gluten free products online. I've emailed them asking for information. In the meantime, there is a list on the Lone Star Celiac Support Group (Dallas) web site. It appears to be based on information from April 2004. They do have an article on celiac disease in their Wellness Center and also an article on the gluten free diet.
- Sande Smith can be reached about her gluten free cooking classes at 400-0412.
- What No Wheat Enterprises - http://www.whatnowheat.com/ - LynnRae Ries's books on gluten free living and baking and cooking classes.
- Upcoming conferences are listed on our calendar page
Last modified on [an error occurred while processing this directive]